[malu] super cool Android app development...

Bryan Johns bjohns at greendragonweb.com
Wed Jun 6 20:24:37 CDT 2012

MVC 4 is actually in "release candidate" mode with a go-live license.  It
can be used with VS 2010 sp1 as long as you limit yourself to .net 4.0
language features.  Or, you can install the VS 2012 release candidate and
get .Net 4.5 with a go-live license.

Here's the link to the MVC4 page:  http://www.asp.net/mvc/mvc4

Web API is for all intents and purposes the replacement for WCF services.
You will be able to have server-side code provides services for everything
from a simple static HTML page with JavaScript to maybe a smart phone
client to even a Windows application talking to the Web server.

I'm really excited about some of the things that can be done with SignalR
in combination with Web API to handle real-time communications over port
80.

--
Bryan Johns
K4GDW

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others
may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" --Patrick
Henry

easy
> (when compared
> 		to previous M$FT offerings) way to expose a REST-full
> interface to any
> 		client that can speak HTTP(S).
>
> 		For a Windows Phone 7 app, however, it might be hard to
get
> your app past
> 		the app store's battery-life police if it needs to run in
> the background.
> 		Last time I checked into it they had some very unrealistic
> requirements in
> 		that regard.  Something like the battery has to last 100
> hours with your
> 		app running in the background.  To get anywhere near that
> kind of battery
> 		life out of my Samsung Focus, I have to put it in airplane
> mode, lock the
> 		phone, and not use it for anything.
>
> 		--
> 		Bryan Johns
> 		K4GDW
>
> 		"Citizens by birth or choice of a common country, that
> country has a right
> 		to concentrate your affections. The name of American,
which